The History of BHFMC

The Wellsburg Free Methodist Church was organized in 1894. A church building was purchased in 1910 on the corner of 26th and Commerce Street In Wellsburg. After many pastoral changes, Elwood Daugherty pastored the Wellsburg FMC from 1975 to 1981. In 1980, the current sanctuary building was constructed and dedicated. In 1983 John A. Kelley became the pastor and continued until 1999, when he was then elected Conference Superintendent. During his time here, the Follansbee and Wellsburg Free Methodist churches merged in 1988 to become the Brooke Hills Free Methodist Church. A second Sunday morning worship service was added in the spring of 1991 to allow for growth of the congregation. The Christian Life Center was built in 1993 and provided a gymnasium/fellowship center, additional classrooms, office and storage space, doubling the ministry space available. Partial paving of the parking lot was done, as well.

Boyd T. Carney served two summer internships at the church, and in 1996, under John Kelley, Timothy L. Miller was appointed as the first Associate Pastor. Frances Powviriya was appointed as Associate Pastor in 2000, followed by Jim Randas in 2003, then John S.(Bud) Mitchell who was appointed in 2005, who grew up in the Wellsburg/Brooke Hills church and served as the Associate Pastor until 2011.

Elwood L. Daugherty was appointed again in 1999. During his appointment the Jackson Memorial Pavilion was constructed, which includes a large picnic area, kitchen, restroom and three-car garage. Additional paving was been done to increase the parking area. An elevator was installed in the worship center and a two-story storage annex was built on to the CLC.

After a very lengthy illness, Rev. Daugherty received his Heavenly reward in March of 2009.
In June 2009, Bryce J. Grieco was appointed as Lead Pastor and served until July 2018. During his tenure, the church changed tremendously. In October of 2012, construction was completed on a new sanctuary, lobby and children’s space. Some features of the new construction included: 
  • New 400 Seat Sanctuary
  • Professional lighting and multimedia resources
  • New 110 seat children/youth multi-ministry space
  • New mother’s room
  • Remodeled nursery and preschool area with a secure check in system
  • New level and lighted parking area

It takes more than just buildings to make a church – it takes people who have fellowship with one another and, more importantly, with God. Buildings, however, do serve to give us consistency and stability in our ministry efforts. With the new sanctuary we are be able to more adequately minister to our community both now and in the generations to come.